Saturday, October 17, 2009

Handle Wrapping...

I'm wrapping a Japanese straight razor.


OK, here's the story. This is an Iwasaki, one that I've sold to a customer. He requested that I get the handle wrapped in rattan, and rather than depend on sending them of to get it done, I decided to do it myself.

However, having no idea how to go about such a thing, I asked a couple of people, and one of them, a knife-shop owner and kamisori user, recommended that I not use rattan--it absorbs water and dries slowly, so it leads to rust problems on the handle. He said that some kind of fabric is preferable. I found this waxed cotton line at a craft store, and thought I'd give it a try.

This is my first try, but I like it. The pattern is simple, but pleasing, and adds a nice texture to the grip I think. I'll work on making it more symmetrical and even, but I think this is a keeper.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Here are pictures.







When I get a bit more adept at it, I'll post pics of the whole process...It's simple, but long.

And the finished product!










4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice Jim! Good thinking about water absorption and the possibility of triggering rust too. The wrap design is indeed very nice and helps to retain the traditional appearance.

Gee said...

Outstanding work Jim ... I'm very very impressed , it looks amazing
well done

JimR said...

Thanks so much, guys! I really appreciate it...

Jeff said...

Awesome wrapping just what I'm looking for! Is the interleaved texture just on the one side or on both sides? I can see how it would work on just one side but if it's on both sides then pics of the whole process or a video would be fantastic thanks.