Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Oh MAAAAN!

I love custom stuff. I LOVE having stuff that is mine, and only mine. And I've got a great one on the way.

So a while back, a guy going by the nick of "Alchemist" on SRP posted this:


He called it a "variable tension strop", aka a loom strop. I LOVE the idea of loom strops, where the leather is stretched on a fram that you can hold in your hand, no need to hang anywhere, but the one I ended up with is tiny, about 8 inches long. Looking at that beautiful monster of Alchemist's, I got all hot and bothered. So I emailed him.

And now, on its way to me, is this:






That is a custom made loom strop with a custom carrying case and a hand-forged "adjustment key" (aka wrench). How FREAKING SWEET is that? PRETTY SWEET, I think.

I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it...

Alchemist is a great guy to deal with, by the way. He was cooperative and helpful and extremely generous--he threw in the case for free, without me even asking. He also does custom blades, apparently, so that might ALSO be coming soon. So yeah, this is just making my little day.

Christmas is coming, baby!!!

4 comments:

Avatar1999 said...

Pretty awesome loom strop there Jim!

How long is that bad boy?

JimR said...

Thanks for reading, Avatar, and for the kind words!

It's 61cmx6.3cmx6.3cm, or for the Americans 24"x2.5"x2.5".

Pretty freaking big...so sweeeeet!

Justin said...

Those loom strops are beautiful pieces of craftsmanship! Especially that one.

So, these are mostly meant for pastes right?

I know what you mean about having stuff of your own. It puts so much more meaning into things; it makes you care much more about that particular item.

Justin

JimR said...

Justin, thanks again for reading.

Actually, you can use a loom strop for daily stropping, though I think you're right in that many do use them for pastes. I'm using mine for travel!