Sunday, October 17, 2010

Couple More Videos

A nice little Karasu stone gave me a surprise.


I've had this little, thin Karasu plate for a while but I never gave it much thought because the size and shape are so awkward. But I was playing around and gave it a few strokes with a knife and MAN, it was fast. It felt so different from my other awasedo that I thought I might give it a try with a Takamitou kamisori that I haven't had the best of luck honing up. And I ALSO just won a new video camera in a drawing so I thought I'd record the whole thing.

I started by dulling the razor, a la Bart's coticule honing. It had a decent bevel, but the edge just wasn't up to snuff. I figured resetting it would be a good place to start. Then I ran a full honing nagura regimen, Botan->Tenjou->Koma->Tomonagura. Total honing time from absolute beginning, including testing, washing the stone, etc. was 25 minutes. Note: for time, I edited out most arm hair tests and the between-nagura washing. Always wash your stone between each nagura step.

Enjoy!





The stone itself is perhaps the best quality hone I've laid hands on. It's the magic combination of fast and smooth, with incredible feedback, and the edge on this razor was gorgeous. Too bad I don't have a bigger, better shaped one...

1 comment:

Marco said...

Often I obtain good results with small stones, I work more concentrated.