Sunday, September 21, 2008

My First Time

Everyone remembers it, don't they? The nervous tension beforehand...the trembling hands. The warm froth oozing down your face. The wetness. It's messy, and it can hurt if you're not careful, but in the end, it's worth it.

Wetshaving.


My first time was good. I loaded up my vintage Gillette Tech with a Wilkinson (Economie?) sword blade. I warmed up my Japanese scuttle and hopped in the shower.

I made sure to prepare my face as best I could, using a moisturizing exfoliating scrub in the shower to get my beard all nice and fluffy, and then I started up.

I used a professional barber's cream that I had gotten from, well...from my barber. He had also helped me get my brush. According to the guys at Shavemyface.com, it's probably boar hair.

Not as good as badger, but better than synthetic. I whipped up a bit of a lather which, in retrospect, I think was a little dry, as I felt a bit of tugging and drag when I shaved, but it worked out ok. The brush felt nice. There was some prickling (maybe because of the Boar hair?) but the warmth of the lather was very nice.

I was terrified before I started. Holding an intensely sharp metal blade against your face can do that to you. But I was careful, and I was slow, and I got her to do what I wanted like a good girl.

I did three passes: one with the grain, and two across the grain, in opposite patterns. No nicks, not cuts, and no razorburn. The shave wasn't the closest I've had, but it was far from the worst.

I look forward to the day when I can hit the legendary baby's butt...

How was your first time?

No comments: