Sunday, November 7, 2010

Big Things Afoot at Maruoyama

Maruoyama stones have not been the best for razors. Until recently, that is.

As I hone more and more razors on Japanese stones, one thing becomes clear to me--the hardness of the stone is of immense importance. Soft stones simply don't give good shaving edges, no matter how pure or "fine" they might be. The Maruo stones I've had up until now have all been excellent for knives and the like, but they have simply been too soft for razors. The website for these stones, Totoriya (Japanese Link), lists this as one of the main differences between "Western Stones" (including Maruoyama) and "Eastern Stones" (including Nakayama).

However, the other day I was reading a blog (Japanese Link) kept by a self-named "Natural Stone Researcher", and he mentioned that he had just gotten a Maruo stone that was too hard for plane honing...which is usually just where we want razor stones to be. I contacted him, and he explained that the mine at Maruo was getting into the very center of the mountain, where the stones should be their hardest. Thus, there were new grades of stones being found all the time.

Not three days later, I saw right there one the Maruo home page their very first "Kamisori hone". Until now, not even the owner felt that the Maruo stones were quite right for razors, but now he had one that reached that point. Unfortunately it had sold already, but I contacted him and he said that more and more of these should be coming, though he couldn't predict when. I put in a standing order...and last Friday my stone came in!

This is a Maruoyama Kamisori To, from the Hachimai seam near to the Senmai seam.


(The wooden frame is a "honing base" from Totoriya, a cheap and interesting piece of work.)

As you can see, it's an almost uniform dark gray except for a portion at the side, which has a nice golden brown streaking.



It's small, and not really uniform, but there's plenty of honing space for razors.

I lapped it, and it was indeed hard--as hard as any Japanese stone I've tried. If you look at the slurry I raised with the botan:



You can see there there's only a hint of gray in the white--meaning that the slurry is primarily from the nagura, as it should be. Too much gray, and it would be slurry from the stone itself and no good for Botan honing. What's more, raising a slurry from the tomonagura I got from my barber took FOREVER, again--this means that the stone is hard enough to not release any slurry without being told to.

All of which is good news!

I've honed a couple of razors on it and will get back with the results, but the preliminary tests are encouraging. Fingers crossed!

7 comments:

Justin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Justin said...

Can't wait to hear the results Jim. I hope this means what I'm thinking it means.

JimR said...

Justin,

Thanks for your comment!

I'm not sure if it means anything more than that there is a potential for a new source of good hones. The production is really really slow, though, I'm not holding my breath.

Anonymous said...

Hello Jim,

I have been long wanting
to buy a super hard, fine
finishing stone for razors
and plane blades/chisels.

The Nakayama stones are just
way too expensive if you want
a flawless stone. I got the advice
to try the toishi site because
they had been getting very good stones.

I emailed them and will see
how they respond. Basically
my friend said the stone I was
looking for was 2500USD and
more if it were nakayama maruichi,
but would be 500-600USD if bought
from totoriya.

JimR said...

Thanks for your comment. I can't really say if you'll get what you want at Totoriya. They have excellent stones, but they're not quite there with the razor stones, in my opinion.

They do have outstanding woodworking and kitchen stones, though. Just gorgeous feeling, and the edges are smooth as butter. I have an Ippon Matsu Kiita that is a pure joy to use, and puts a flawless edge on kitchen knives. It's just too soft for razors, though, like most Totoriya stones.

The razor stones they do have, like this one, are incredibly hard but lack a lot of the "chikara" that Nakayama stones have. Meaning, they just don't take off much steel, so they are slow to use. Like the Chinese slate hones.

Depending on what you mean by "flawless," though, your price for Nakayama stones seems a tad high. I got a razor stone that was, to my eye, without any flaw--a razor sized "Mizuiro" stone, almost pure white with one brown corner. No suji, no hari, and it was a good 1.5 inches thick. It was beautiful, an exquisite stone for razors, and it cost around $500.

A Totoriya stone meeting those same criteria, if there is one, would not be much cheaper.

Anonymous said...

Hello Jim,

Thanks for the detailed comment

The information I got was that
totoriya had mined some very good
stones recently and I should ask them specifically for ''high quality Tomae Iki-murasaki or Shiki Tomae grade stone.'' No idea what that means, think Tomae mean a layer.

I need a stone for sharpening woodworking tools. I like them to be as sharp as possible. I like making very thin cuts.

I read that usually suita stones are preferred for this as they are quite fast. Very hard asagis were not as good because they are too slow.

But I was thinking if I buy a very hard,superfine asagi and use with nagura, then that solves the slowness of the stone,no?

By flawless I mean no lines, inclusions,cracks etc.. basically
pure beautiful stone.

You seem also to have knowledge on which stones are best suited for woodworking tools. I need a stone
that is about 20cm by 7-8cm by 3cm thick.

What do you think is THE BEST stone(mine,strata,hardness etc..)
I should get for my purpose and how much will it cost do you think?

I emailed toishi.jp in english a
couple of days ago, but haven't received a response from the yet.
Are there any other sellers you
would recommend. Anywhere I can get my superstone for a bargain?

Do you have a preference for blue or the yellow coloured stones? I read that yellow ones are more expensive.

Sorry for so many question Jim.
Really need some help.

Thanks in advance mate

JimR said...

Hmmm...Tell you what, let's take this to email, if you don't mind.

Email me at jim (at) easternsmooth.com and we'll talk.