Thursday, November 11, 2010

For Those In Search of Koma

I get a LOT of requests for help finding Koma Nagura, which I understand, but I simply can't handle all of them. So here's one option for you, if you are looking.


I have gotten all of my Nagura thus far from one place: a shop in Nagasaki called "Mandala-ya"(Japanese site). The owner is a super friendly, super helpful carpenter named Teshiba-san, and he sells all kinds of lovely woodworking tools and good hones from his online shop there. He also gets his Mikawa Nagura directly from the source in Aichi, so they are all Asano stamped stones.



He sells a nice set of three (Botan, Tenjou and Mejiro) for 2000 JPY, which I highly recommend, and he does sometimes get Koma nagura, but they sell out so fast he doesn't even bother putting them on his site so you have to ask.

He also sells hones directly from the official source, the Kyoto Natural Hone Association so you can trust the quality.

Some advice for ordering:

The site is only in Japanese, but he told me that if you use simple English, you can email for information. PLEASE use short, simple sentences. He does accept PayPal, and he does ship internationally but he insists on EMS so shipping can be pricey. He does say that he's willing to mark "gift" for Customs purposes, as well.

I can very highly recommend dealing with Mr. Teshiba, he has been a real help to me and his service and products are outstanding, so I hope the language barrier isn't too high to get what you need!

So please, if you're looking for Koma Nagura (or indeed any number of stones, or Japanese Planes or chisels or the like) drop Teshiba-san at Mandala-ya an email.

(and if you're wondering, I'm not getting any for this, just wanting to help some people out on both sides).

1 comment:

Marco said...

Thanks for these interesting informations. I will try to conctat Mr. Teshiba.