Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hey Hey Hey!!!!

So, didja Miss me? I missed you...I really did.
But now I'm back, with lots of fun for Y'uns!

So I took a week off, went to Aso ( a volcanic area in Kyushu) and my in-laws, and cut my net time down a bit. I hope you made it ok without me for a week! I know it's hard.

Anyway, the last week was not a particularly good one on the shaving front. I took a "travel set" of MWF stick, Valobra stick, a J2 Injector and my recently acquired Duke 3 Simpsons brush, made before they were bought by Vulfix.

The Injector was ok--it took a shave or two to get used to the difference from my Futur, but I got smooth, fairly comfortable shaves from it. Smooth, but boring. Meh. I much prefer my big old Futur....And then there was the D3.

Now, I will be the first to admit I have sensitive skin. I know this. But when I use a high-end badger brush, I don't expect it to HURT me. And this brush did. It took all the pleasure out of my shaves. So I give up. No more badger brushes. I have a good silvertip in the Kim Son, and that's enough for me...I'm done with SBAD!

Anyway, in other news, when I got home I had a bunch of packages! A ton of soaps and cream from my best mate in Scotland (Hey Andy! Thanks!) and a couple of travel tubes for brushes and...2 straight razors!

Here we go, the "Steel Triad":

On the left is my Vintage Kropp blade, a 5/8 inch hollow ground Sheffield steel blade in black scales. The scales are rough, but the blade is nice and shave ready.

On the right is my Double Arrow. It's got cheap plastic scales, but the blade has a good reputation. It's near shave ready, I think. My first honing project.

And then up top, where it belongs, is my Tosuke. Japanese straights are COOOOOOL. And they take a wicked sharp edge--unfortunately, this one has not done so yet.But When I learn me up to hone, it will.

I feel so damn MANLY!

No comments: