Thursday, February 12, 2009

Productive Product Reviews: Palmira Shave Soap

From the icy wastes of Serbia/Macedonia comes this wee cube of animal fat...

I got this one from a member of "the board which shall not be named" and it is deserving of praise.

It's a small cube, about 2 inches on a side, and it has a very...interesting...scent. This is the "almond" version, and it has that somewhat marzipan-y sweet almond scent remeniscent of Cella. However, penetrating the almond like a bit ol stick of jerky is a scent that I can only describe as fat. Animal fat. Like, tallow before it becomes tallow. It smells like someone's going to be making up some fries soon. Now, as unpleasant as it sounds, it isn't. It's a natural scent, a fresh scent. Almost an appetizing one, and it meshes oddly well with the almond.

Use of Palmira is pretty straight forward. It's not really appropriate for pucklike use, as it's so small, so I use it like a shave stick and rub right on your face. I suppose it would be ueasy to put into a container, as it's not that hard a soap--with a bit of pressure it should mold into any container you have laying around.

Lathering this stuff is a dream--within seconds of meeting my brush, I was getting a very dense creamy lather. I didn't have to adjust water levels much, it lathered fast and smooth. The shave was pretty good; the lather is VERY cushiony, so it was kind of difficult to get a really close shave, but it also prevented any nicks or irritation completely. It's also not the slickest lather, so I would hesitate to use it with a straight--I have the feeling the blade would stick a bit. But man, did my skin ever feel good after this one. I mean, come on--I had just doused myself in beef fat. Of COURSE my face is going to feel moist and smooth!

It's a good soap, though hard to come by, and if you gt the chance you should give it a try.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Icy wastes"? Take a peak at an Atlas. Perhaps you mistook Serbia for Siberia?