Thursday, May 13, 2010

It Ain't What It Used to Be...

Alright, here's the deal. I'm running out of stuff to write about.

It's sad, but true. I've used pretty much all the soaps and creams I'm going to use, so the reviews are drying up.

I've mostly stopped getting new razors, as I've settled on Iwasaki as my go-to: the Tamahagane western style, and the Kamisori, are all I shave with these days (with occaional appearances from Revisor). Thus I can't really do a lot of investigation of new razors.

My shaving has plateaued, I get great shaves pretty much every time, so there's not much food for posting there, either.

I could post about Japanese hones for years, but I imagine there are only so many posts about hones you guys will want to read...

So where should I go next? Is there anything you would like to know about? Anything you want to see here? Any SPECIFIC product reviews you'd like to read, any questions about Japanese hones or razors?

Let me know...cause I'm at a loss lately.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Jim, I could read your posts about Japanese hones for years. :) There is so much to be said about that...

One cool thing to hear about would be how many Japanese razors are made. I have a general idea, but the devil is in the details.

Anyway, I enjoy your posts here and on coticule.be.

spazola said...

I cannot think of specific products.

I would like to hear about your thoughts on the grinds of various Japanese razors. I would like to see the ends of the blades on photos showing the grinds. Are they all the same? Are there subtle differences?

I would also like to here the pros and cons of various handle materials, and the methods (weaves) that are used to attach them to the blade.

I want to hear you musings on blades.

Hone talk is always exciting. Any hone that is not a Norton 4/8k is exotic me.

Charlie

Indianapolis Veterinarian, Dr. Greg Magnusson said...

Step 1: ship me anything you dont use anymore.
Step 2: find another obsession!

:D

DwarvenChef said...

While I don't have Japanese razors I am nuts about Japanese hones. One area I'm looking at now are some natural Nagura. Not easy to find so far...

Oldengaerde said...

Only so many posts about hones us guys will want to read? Hahahaha!

If I may suggest a subject: the different traits of Japanese hones such as renge (lotus), momiji (maple), nashiji (pear-skin) etcetera.

A lot of nonsense is written about this and a sensible write-up in your style with pictures would, in my opinion, really be a welcome resource, and a pleasure to read and see.

JimR said...

Gents, thanks for the feedback. I'm happy to see the interest in the rocks, because it's an interest I share. ;)

I'll see what I can dig up about Renge, etc., and I'll put together some stuff on Kamisori grinds.

Tyler from best electric shaver said...

I'm actually a newbie to these types of shaving tools but I'm finding them really interesting. I'm sure you can your posts on a bit of a different direction for awhile :)