Thursday, June 10, 2010

Blind Shave

Bad bad idea.

For some reason, I got this weird idea today. I went to the gym, and had my shave kit with me, and for some reason, I thought "You know what, I don't really want to be the center of attention for being the big white guy AND the straight shaver, so I'll just shave in the shower!"

Yeah, yeah, I know. Many many bad ideas are hidden in there, but oh well.

I got out my little German badger brush, my The Real Shaving Company Cream, and my 7/8 vintage Friodur, and went to town. I went by feeling, searching for stubble by touch, and making sure I used plenty of lather (which I couldn't see). Overall, it could have been worse...I got a shave, though, that's for sure. But...well, it was awkward, and not very fun, and afterward my face was razorburned and unhappy.

I wasn't bleeding, and I've surely had worse shaves, but overall I give the whole process 2 thumbs down. But I think the REAL culprit was the razor.

It was tuggy, and rough, and I was disappointed in myself for the hone job I gave it. If it'd been sharper, I have a feeling it would've been a decent shave. So it was a bad shave, and it was all my fault. Ah well, such is life...

3 comments:

tokeiten said...

upssss!. I can feel the pain, just reading your post.

I have a friend who says, he always shaves with a DE and while having a shower (?). I always has sound to me like a very bad idea, but doing it with a str8, sounds almost a crazy idea.

Never mind, I hope you are feeling better now.

regards.

JimR said...

I am, thanks! It was a bad idea, but everyone has those sometimes.

Thanks for reading!

mbwhoosh said...

I'm one of those crazy people ^_^

I never used shaving cream before trying wetshaving so would always shave in the shower so the water could be used as a lather. I still do it with safety razors too but have not had the courage to attempt it with a straight yet. I think that shaving without a mirror gives you a profound sense of your face and results in a close shave that very rarely needs a "touch-up pass" because of haste.

I admire your courage Jim and might just try it with a straight soon......think I will keep my boxers on for the first few attempts though ;)