Wednesday, March 11, 2009

There's A Moos Loose...

After a great deal of Kerfluffle (that's the technical term, I believe) I finally got my hot little hands on the fabled Sir Irisch Moos shave soap.



This soap first raised its ugly head on the Board Which Shall Not Be Named, with an innocent question about its continued existence; it turns out this soap brand, once produced by a smaller German company, had been purchased by Maeurer and Wirtz (the producers of Tabac) and is only available from a few German vendors. This lead to a swarm of requests for it, and an eventual group buy--which apparently has not shown up, three months later. Other sources were sought, and eventually it has reached the mainstream supply route--I know that Superlather.com has a shipment on the way, with plans for more if interest is high.

And it is.

I got my stick though a trade with a member of TSD, and it showed up a couple of days ago. I tried it yesterday and today, and one word: WOW.

The lather is, in a word, "Tabac-y". It is quick to lather, and produces a great, smooth slick cushion of shaving goodness. The soap only comes in a stick form, which is just dandy with me, but some people might not like the process...you rub it on your face and hit it with the brush. In seconds, you are all kinds of ready to shave. Fantastic.

Of course, the big difference to Tabac is the scent--this is the big deal, I think, because a lot of people love Tabac's lather but not the smell. I personally love both--but I do like change, so the IM was welcome. Now, the thing is, IM really has a lovely scent. It is rich and well-rounded, with some nice citrus notes on the top end, but a clear warm heart. Oddly enough, I can still get some Tabac notes there--maybe cloves, some Lavender and perhaps a touch of vanilla. But like I said, I love the scent of Tabac, so I'm all kinds of happy here.

So yes. Irisch Moos is more than worth the effort of finding it--especially now that is approaching wide availability. I will be buying it again, no doubt.