Monday, March 23, 2009

And The Packages Come Rolling In...

The results of my shopping spree have started to arrive. It's fun time!

The first to arrive, and perhaps my favorite, is this:
A Beardsley and Avon "Empire" straight razor with a double concave grind...an awesome, enormous blade with so much steel it feels like driving a truck around your face. It's not exactly sharp enough to shave yet, but it will be. Oh yes, it will be. (Pictures from the seller on Ebay).


A closeup of the blade, something I hope to clean up a little bit...but I like the etching. I wonder if there's any way to preserve it?



Next up is another box from good old Mr. Mayhew at Connaught Shaving. A beautiful bowl of dark oak, with a puck of Mitchell's Wool Fat; the bowl is not the best for lathering, but it's a great display piece (bottom right in the picture)


I also got a big old bottle of Paul's Three Crowns Indian Sandalwood Aftershave Milk. This stuff is GREAT for really bad shaves--it soothes and calms like you wouldn't believe.


Still on the way is a puck of D.R. Harris Marlborough shave soap, a container of Bronnley's English Fern talcum powder (Yes, talcum powder. Shut up, ok?) and a bottle of Trumper's Wild Fern EdT.

The last is a bit of a new interest of mine. I've come to be quite interested in scents...learning about "top notes" and "heart notes" and "drydown", the difference between tree moss and oak moss, and whatnot (if you wish to do the same, I recommend www.basenotes.net, a great resource for learning about the world of fragrance. God help me.). And it's all because of Penhaligon's English fern--the first Eau du Toilet I've ever found that I really, REALLY like. And so I got a wee bit obsessed with it...it turns out, of course, to be incredible expensive, and the company is more than a wee bit difficult to deal with. SO I settled for the next best thing, a bottle of Trumper's Wild Fern, a very similar take on the Fougere of legend. And then, of course, I got the Bronnley's talc in English fern to put a little frosting on that old cake of madness.

No comments: