Thursday, October 16, 2008

Light as a Feather, Sharp as a...Feather?

This week I have been experimenting with a new kind of blade...Feather New Hi-Stainless DE razor blades. They've got a bit of a reputation for being unbelievably sharp, and a bit on the cutty side. After a week of trying them out, I think that reputation is probably well earned.


Up to now I have been using a set of sample blades that were included with my first razor, a gift from a generous forum member at SMF. Now that I have used all the other blades, I am down to the Feathers.



These blades are made in Japan, and readily available at drug stores and groceries all over. I was really hoping that I would be able to use these all the time, because of their ready availability. Unfortunately, I didn't have much luck.

Feather blades are widely regarded as the sharpest blades available. Calling a razor sharp may seem like calling water wet, but these are a bit further than most blades. They approach scalpel-edge levels, and that sharpness means you have to be DAMNED careful when using them, or you will bleed.

I bled. I was careful, but my skills just aren't that hot yet. Four days shaving with a Feather meant four days of painful, bloody, REALLY smooth shaves. Many people swear by these blades. They offer a close shave, true enough, but they are just sooo unforgiving. Not worth the pain for me. Other blades, like Derby or Dorco ST301, offer smooth shaves without all the nicking; the equation just doesn't add up.

UNTIL yesterday. I've been involved in a deal with another forum member at SMF, getting some more blades from Feather. Single Edged blades.



Single edge blades are REALLY old fashioned. I thought I was retro with the DE blades, but these guys--they were popular before my grandma was born! Nowadays, most single edge blades are used for crafts, so there aren't too many who use them to shave.

There are enough,however, to warrant the existence of the Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum and Resin double coated Single Edge blades.

I tried one of these yesterday, in a Gem Countour II, and...it was great. An easy, smooth, comfortable shave. Very little redness, even on my neck, and I even went ATG on my jawline without cutting! Amazing shavers, these guys, sharp but not hideously so, and talk about Traditional!

This morning, another great shave from the Feather SE, and I may be a convert. How silly, really.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much love for the Feather SE blades. After trying these out in my Featherwieght, I have been re-sold on SE shaving.

Glad to see someone else has found them.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried using the Feather blades with a Weishi razor? I have read on the Razor and Brush forum that this combination works particularly well - great shaves and no nicks.

Thanks for putting this blog up. It looks like it is off to a great start!

JimR said...

No, I don't have a Weishi. I use a Tech, which by all reports is a very mild razor--I've found it to be so.

I also have a Slim Adjustable. Once I feel comfortable with my technique, I might give the feathers a try in it, dialled way down.

Thanks for reading, by the way!

Anonymous said...

I use a Slim with my sharper blades. It does a good job taming them and allowing me to get a good shave with a blade that my Fatboy just can't handle at any setting.