Monday, October 27, 2008

Productive Product Reviews: Auslese Aftershave by Shiseido

Today we have yet another Japanese Aftershave. I had such good luck with the ones up to now, I figured we should try another!


This one presents in a lovely glass bottle, all nice and angular. The name is German, commonly known from the wine designation and meaning "Select" or "Choice". Sounds hopeful!



The ingredients list is even longer than the Bravas, with some familiar faces:

Dikalium Glycyrrhizin (Anti-inflammatory), d-alpha tocopheryl acetate (vitamin E), Aloe Extract, Glycerin Concentrate, Ethanol, Water, Polyoxyethylene, Polyoxypropylene decyl tetradecyl ethyl (Those three were all run together into one wore in Japanese...WHAT??? When I searched I found stuff about Contact lens solution...), 2-Ethyl Hexyl Para Methoxy Cinnamate (sunscreen?), Sodium Citrate, Citric Acid, Trisodium Edetate, Propylene Glycol, Fragrance, I-menthol, Yellow 203 and Blue #1.

Wow. Again, my Japanese chemistry vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds...

So, as they say, the proof is in the putting on...

After my shave today, I shook some out and splashed it on. My very first reaction was "Hey, Brut!" I haven't smelled Brut since I was in high school and my aunt gave me a bottle for Christmas. I didn't like it at the time, but now...A very nice touch!
Then the very light Brut-ish scent faded, and a powdery note came through. Kind of sweet and baby-powderish, it is very, VERY nice! Delicate, but still masculine, with the slightest reminder of that traditional "cologny" smell. I keep getting whiffs of it, and it makes me smile each time.

The feel was soothing, and very calm. Very little alcohol sting, and the menthol was barely noticeable. It isn't quite as moisturizing as I might like, but then winter is coming on and demands are rising in that department--I might need to move to balm or milk soon. But, all in all, the feel is good. Not as nice as the smell, but good.

So....

Japanese After Shaves are AWESOME!!! This one is about twice the price of Eroika, which has been my favorite up to now...but I would say it's worth it.

Definitely a thumbs up.

No comments: