Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mild indeed...A Review

So, it's been a full shaving week for me. New products, new razors, new experiments...and I didn't post a word. Sorry about that. But here I am with a review of Nivea Mild Shave cream...Just like you've always wanted!



I got a tube of this cream a while back, as you might remember, and finally gave it a few runs; I thought I'd let you know how it went.

It went.

I used the cream 3 times, and for the life of me I can't imagine wanting to use it again. Now, it's not a bad cream. Not at all. The lather was fairly easy to whip up, it offered decent lubrication and protection...the after care was adequate. But...that was it. Decent. Adequate. Fair. The only thing that was at all noteworthy was the scent--rather than the generic "European Tubed Cream Scent" that you get with things like WARS or Florena (which this cream is supposed to be replacing...sadly), they went with a light, fresh generic "fruit" scent. Pleasant, indeed, but not really much of a hook.

I really wish there was something of note I could say...I wish I could say something either good or bad, but I can't. It certainly gave me a shave. I'd say the cream is good enough to use, sure. It's not as good as Florena in the protection or skin care departments; not as good as ARKO in the Lube department, and it's not as good as any English cream ever made in the scent department. It's just a cream that is will allow you to shave your face adequately. If that's what you want in a shave, well, my friend, you've found your cream.

I have recently found, however, that I want more. I want a lot more. I want a shave that brings a smile to my face when I think about it later in the day. I want something I can TALK about on Fora or this blog. I want a remarkable shave every goddam day. And I will never, ever get that with Nivea Mild Shaving cream. It's not bad, not at all, but it's not for me, either.

Sorry, Nivea...you've got nothing for me.

3 comments:

Aleks said...

Hmmmmm.... That Nivea does not look like the one from Canada. The Canada Nivea also does not smell like fruit.

Oh well, YMMV as the story go's....LOL

Aleks

Unknown said...

And there we have it.

I haven't used my tube in quite a while but, as a newbie, I remember that I really liked the scent. This was the first cream I ever owned though, so of course it was amazing and new to me. That's all I remember about it though. I'll give this another try sometime, though I'm not expecting much; I guess I went with the VDH for a reason.

JimR said...

Hey guys, thanks for your comments.
I know, I'm sorry...it just didn't do a lot for me. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with it--but there wasn't anything really to make me say "Hey! I like this!"

But Aleks, you say that's a different looking tube? Mine was for the German market..I guess it's entirely possible that it's a different formula in Canada. Why not? Now I guess I'll have to give the Canadian version a try! Thanks! THANKS A WHOLE LOT!!!!! ;)

Kodou, well VDH is a good soap! No reason NOT to go with it. You know, if you like the Nivea there's nothing wrong with that. It's a fine cream, certainly better than any of the Japanese ones I've tried; better than any of the small-market creams, too. But with all the creams I've got laying around here (and I just realized, I have a LOT. Like, A WHOLE LOT) I can't really see choosing it over most of the others. You know, I'm probably just spoiled.

And, like the man said, YMMV!