Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Unorthodoxy, Thy Name is Jim...

I LAUGH in the face of tradition. Ha! HA HA!!!!

Most people like to do things that they know work. They like to avoid risks, and not put themselves in unknown situations. Me? I'm a THRILL SEEKER!!!

Well, not really. But in my little obse...hobby here, I like to play around with things and see what works and what doesn't. So when I was talking to a representative at Naniwa Abrasives about some of their products, and he mentioned that they have abrasive powders up to 3000 grit, I was very intrested.



Now, a lot of people use abrasive powders in honing razors, but usually only in finishing--for example, .5 micron Chromium Oxide powder, or .5 or .25 diamond, suspended in a paste or spray. These are used to put the final polish on a razor's edge, but I was thinking, what about the REST of the process? If they work at the end of a honing session, why not the beginning. So I requested some samples of the powders, and I was generously given some.




I got samples of 400, 1000, 1500, and 3000 grist White Alumina and Green Carbon. I decided to start with Green Carbon (Silicon Carbide) as it is VERY hard, close to diamond, and I thought this would be a good stepping stone to the diamond pastes used in the finishing stages. I got some wood (medium density fiberwood--Daiso saves the day again!) and made a thin paste with cutlery oil.


I applied this to a pice of the board and had a nice 1K hone!


I repeated the process with the 3K, and then got some 1micron, .5m and .25m diamond paste to use as finishers. The jump from 3000 grit to 1m is pretty big--3000 is about 4m--but since diamond is a pretty fast cutter, I felt it was an ok risk to take.


My first razor was the Rongin was whining about before. I had had tons of trouble setting a bevel, so I thought I'd try the pasted wood. Using a mix of pasted wood strop and diamond plate, I was finally able to get the bevel set. Then I moved up to the 3K, and it was AWESOME. The hone really put a keen, smooth edge on the razor, it was popping hairs an inch off my arm--off the 3K!!!!


The diamond pastes finished up the job, and I shaved...and it was an awesome edge. These pasted hones are really something else. I'll continue to experiment, especially with full bevel setting, but I think this is pretty cool--a full set of hones for less than $10. Maybe not perfect, but pretty darn neat, I think.

No comments: