Friday, February 12, 2010

Like Finding Out There's No Santa Claus

I've been looking forward to visiting Houki Hone Distributors in Hiroshima for WEEKS.

Guess what happened?

So a while back I found out about a place in Hiroshima, the nearest "big city", which is an official hone/whetstone distributor in Japan--a place with decades of history, apparently.

So I searched it down, and got the address, and got my wife on board, and since yesterday was a bank holiday we both had the day off. We hopped on the train and headed to the big city. The weather was crappy, but I didn't let that kill my enthusiasm.

And when I spotted the sign, I had to take a little picture:

That big white sign with blue letters is it. That is a BIG sign...I was so excited, I did a little dance--I had visions of shelf after shelf of beautiful hones of every shape and style.

But...but...as we got closed, my heart started to fall. There were no lights in the display window...

And then the door came into sight.

The shuttered, locked door.

It was closed.

And, to rub salt on the wound, what was in the display window?

That stone sign reads "Shohonzan Awasedo", or "True mountain finishing stones". The great name in Japanese natural whetstones...

The stones I am always on the hunt for.

*sigh*

As for why this place was closed, well, even though it was a Thursday, my wife figures that since this isn't really a shop, per se, it's a company that distributes hones, so it is closed on bank holidays. Dammit.

This also means, of course, that it is only open on weekdays.

When I work.

DOUBLE DAMMIT!!!!!

Guess I'll have to take a day off work to go rock hunting sometime.

The worst part? I just got a special overtime deal at work, and to celebrate my wife had agreed to let me spend a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY on hones.

No comments: