Saturday, February 27, 2010

It's not just about ROCKS, you know!

This used to be, long long ago in the heady days of 2008, a WETSHAVING blog!

when I started this thing, so many moons ago, it was about wetshaving. Wetshaving, of course, is the old traditional way of shaving--one brush, one cream, one blade. Somewhere along the way I got shifted from DE razors to Straight razors, and thus on to all the accessories--strops, stones, and more. But the real crux of the matter, the truly VITAL thing to getting a good, enjoyable shave (which is STILL my goal) is the lather.

I've been neglecting lather lately, and I shouldn't.

Last night (I shave at night...) I got out an old friend--The Body Shop Maca Root shave cream. I soaked my custom boar brush (L'Ultima Setola) and squirted a dollop into the bristles. Lathering up on my face, I reflected on well over a year of wetshaves (I haven't shaved any other way since September of 2008...) and just enjoyed myself. I didn't worry about the blade's edge, mostly because I have put a darn fine one on my Tamahagane straight, or angle or anything. I just enjoyed the simple pleasure of brush and cream on my face. I went a little longer than I usually do, working the lather in...I got a wee bit distracted, perhaps, in reflection.

But eventually out came the blade, and I shaved...and it was spectacular. Silky smooth, butter soft and oh so comfortable. So maybe I should overdo it on the lather every shave!

=============================================

In other news, there have been a couple of relapses on the razor front. I've been holding off on razor purchases lately, saving myself for the rocks, but...well, sometimes things happen.

Like Revisor.





This is an 8/8 in blonde horn...and the horn is just gorgeous. Thomas Kronenburg at Revisor showed me the designs for it last year, but I never got around to buying one until now. I wish I hadn't waited so long...it really is a stunning piece. Those Solingen razors, man...wow.

Then there is this Japanese beauty I saw on Yahoo Auctions




There is some rust/blackening on the spine, but other than that the razor is untouched. I don't know how old it is but from the design I'd say mid-20th century. The blade, though, is just gorgeous...shoulderless full hollow with a big belly (that's the diamond shape you can see in the end-on shot, where the blade thickens out again near the edge).

Beauties...I can't wait to get them on my face!

3 comments:

Aleks said...

Hey Big J !!!

Always a pleasure to read your blog regardless of the subject.

Man, those stones sure seem interesting to research. The personal connections you've made with the Kamisori, Strop, and stone people is a real heart warming story.

I haven't been able to really DE shave too much lately, but I still pack an Omega bore brush and a travel size tube of La Toja cream when I'm out in the Oil field.

Working 230 hrs in the last 3 weeks has taken it's toll on this 33 year old's body, but finishing the day with a nice brush and cream makes it all gravy... LOL

A big HELLO !!! from the Canadian North

JimR said...

Hey Aleks, a big Hello from Japan, too! Long time there buddy! I hope the frozen northlands are treating you ok.

La Toja and Omega are good friends to have...but 230 hours in 3 weeks? Damn, man, take some time off!

Aleks said...

HaHaHaHa....

I'm on my 7 day break right now, back to work tomorrow.

Gotta get more hours in before we shut down for spring, the ground gets too soft to move our heavy equipment. At $30/hr the hard way, I can afford to spoil my myself with shave goodies this spring.

I'll go back to driving truck this spring/summer.

Till next time Big J ...