Sunday, January 23, 2011

Another Arrow in the Quiver

A pre-Christmas stone finally got some steel-time.




I got a lovely green Charnley Forrest hone, a classic British oilstone, from an acquaintance on the fair Isle of Mud, and though it took me a while I finally got around to testing it out.

I followed the same routine on four razors (including the previously posted Christmas razors): bevel setting through 12K finish on the Naniwa Super Stones. Then, after shave testing the 12K edge on each for two shaves, I gave them each 100 laps on the CF using light oil.

The results for each razor was not only a marked improvement in smoothness, but an edge that I would venture to call perfect. Lovely, lovely shaves, every bit the equal of the Japanese stone edges. I'm not sure if I would be able to incorporate this stone into my Japanese honing, but it certainly beats the heck out of the 12K Naniwa...and it's always nice to have options.

2 comments:

Bayamontate said...

The edges off the CF are excellent so good that one can skip CrOx IMO.

JimR said...

Thanks for the comment!

You know, I never use CrOx...never felt the desire to, at least since I learned to use my Japanese hones.