Saturday, January 8, 2011

Christmas Razors from Kansas

A while ago, a year I reckon, I commissioned my brother to hunt down razors etc. for me, in the apparently fertile shops of SE Kansas. It paid off this year!

In my yearly Christmas box, I found two razors.

The first is a 5/8 German "Veribest". The bask oc the tang is stamped "Made in Germany" and "F. Westpfal"



It's not in the best of shape with lots of black spotting and a wee bit of honewear. The edge was a little eaten by rust, but it wasn't swisscheesed or anything and it honed up well, so I look forward to the test shave tonight.

The next was a really nice surprise, a 13/16 Wade and Butcher "Celebrated Fine India Steel" wedge. I really like the slightly Spanish/Spike point.



It's got some serious spotting, of course, and the horn scales are a bit cracked but some super glue fixed that right up. But there was 0 honewear, and the bevel was tiny so I think it may have been unused before.



It's a near wedge, and I do like those. With the point, and the condition, I think this is a real winner.



The back is almost mirror polished!

I honed this one up, as well. 400 diamond plate to take out the nicks and rusted edge, then Naniwa super stones--1K-2K-5K-8K-12K and tonight the test shave.

Both of these razors, if they pass the shave test, should go on to my new Charnley Forrest as a test...I'm looking forward to testing it a lot!

2 comments:

Bayamontate said...

That Wade and Butcher looks awesome. The fact that the bevel was tiny was a nice break, most have a rather large bevel, especially with that grind.

JimR said...

Yeah, it really was lucky. And it honed up to be a superb shaver...the first Sheffield I've liked so far.