Saturday, May 23, 2009

Words Can't Express... (Pic Heavy)

I'm usually pretty flip around here, which is ok, you know? It's fun...But not this time. This time, I've got a very important story.

I might have mentioned my barber before; he's a cool old guy, about 60, who has as "authentic" a barbershop I've ever seen...fishing tackle strewn around everywhere, nudie magazines for his waiting customers, and when you get a shampoo, you wash your OWN damn hair. He's been good to me, he helped me out with my first brush, and my first soap (terrible as it was...) and he's one HELL of a haircutter. But today, he floored me with as great an act of generosity as I've ever experienced.

I went in for my usual haircut ("What do you want?" "Short...") and we started talking about the usual random crap, and of course we somehow got around to my shaving hobby. I started talking about my recent straight addiction, about honing and restoring, and he gave me that "Are you nuts?" look...and then he out and out said it. "You're a little strange in the head, aren't you?" We josh, it's normal, I laughed and said "Probably, my wife would certainly say so." Then, of course, he brought out a straight--I knew he used them occasionally. I had even harbored hopes of asking him to teach me to hone a bit. It was a nice little Japanese made spike point--one of those western style straights that I've been seeing around. I tested the edge and it was wicked sharp. He asked me "Can you hone?" I said just a little, and lo and behold, he comes out with a little Japanese natural water stone. He shows me some Japanese style honing (circles) and I show him some X strokes, and he says something along the lines of "Yeah, not bad!" So we talk a little about the hone, and he said it's a Kyoto Honyama Kamisori hone which is pretty awesome, and he sets it down for a while. Then he says, "I'll give it to you."

"What?"

"Take it, it's yours. I've got lots of them!"

"No...I couldn't possibly.."

"Go on! Look!" And of course he brought out more. He explained how he used them to hone his scissors, as he rarely uses a straight anymore. And of course I'm speechless...he has just given me a hone worth a couple hundred dollars, at least.

Then he goes to a cabinet and starts digging around in some papers, and brings out more razors. Some really nice western style straights, including an Iwasaki (!!!) and then he digs some more and brings out a box. In the box are three very well used, and very cool, Japanese style straights, including (of course) a big old Iwasaki. I ohh and ah over them, and after a while we go back to the hair cut. Then...of course, you can see where this is going, right? After a while, he pointed at the razors and said "If you need one, take it!" "What? No...I'd be happy to buy one..say, 5000 yen?" "No way, take one!" "I couldn't..." "Listen," he said, "if I keep them, they'll just go back in that drawer. I haven't used them in ten, fifteen years. Take it." So I start looking and of course, they're in really nice condition. Well used, and a bit aged, but certainly worth a good bit. He was helping me, saying "This one's good...Oh, and this one..." and finally he said "Take them all. I want them to be out in the light, I want them to go to someone who'll enjoy them." He got out the Japanese straights and said "What about these? Do you have one?" I said yes, and he said "Well, take one...they're good!" I took the smallest, oldest one, feeling so greedy and terrible..."Here, take these too. As long as you use them!"

So, moved almost to tears, I was given the lot. He refused any money to the last, and I still can't believe it...He's been such a good friend, and now...well. I'll treasure them forever, of course...

It may seem crass, but I did think about the value. Just to drive home to my wife and mother-in-law what an amazing thing this was. I figure it at around US$1,500...astonishing generosity.

And now, of course, pictures.
First, everything. (He also threw in a "Japanese Scuttle" which is pretty above and beyond, because THIS IS THE SECOND ONE HE'S GIVEN ME!!!)




The three Japanese style straights. On Iwasaki and two...somethings. I can't quite make out the Kanji. Anyone know?


One of the unknown blades:




And the other...


The Iwasaki:


And the maker's mark:


And then the western straights. First, one I had never ever thought to see: an Iwasaki folding straight.





A "Gold Rex", made with Swedish steel (not uncommon for Japanese made folding straights):


Here's a "Towa", a brand I've seen on Yahoo Auctions before.


And finally, a "Three Dolls". Notice the similarity (Click to enlarge...) of the "Dolls" to the Henckels Twins?
doubt that's an accident--Germany has long been a role model for Japan, and German made goods are widely respected.


Here's the mark from the Gold Rex, as well:


Clear similarity.

And, finally, the big one. Even he said this was the best one of the lot...with care, it'll last a thousand years.


I hope Kawaguchi-sensei does, as well.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I dunno what to say.
I'll keep it simple and say congratulations on the mother load.
I've had one or two similar experiences just in the few months being in my new town.
I've found this same sort of thing happens to me when I just talk to people here; the most unexpected and welcome things come about. I think this can be magnified by a power of ten when the generosity comes from someone you've built a relationship with over time, like your barber. It must be such a honor.

Aleks said...

Congratulations on your priceless treasure's. No dollar amount could ever express the kindness and generosity of your barber friend.

I'm not jealous or envious, but happy for some strange reason.

OK.... enough with the mushy stuff. Hone those babies up and tell us how they perform!!!!!!!!!!!!

JimR said...

Thanks for the comments, guys. It's true, there is no way to price these...and it's still a shock to me when I see them.

I'm going to get started on cleaning them up and honing them today...

Gotta get that Nakayama into play!

ChemE said...

Thank-you for sharing that great story. Sharing this with the world seems like the best way to honor your barber. After all, he said he wanted them to be enjoyed.

Aleks said...

Wow, Schick Japan actually got a hold of you!!!!! What did they want???

Maybe ask them if they have any Type-O Injectors or that nifty looking Japanese straight with disposable blades collecting dust on their shelves in the office. LOL.
Probably just wishful thinking.

JimR said...

Aleks, my man, I'm on it!

Just in case anyone notices and suspects me of nefarious machinations, Yes, someone with Schick Japan did post a comment and Yes, I am in contact with him.

I deleted his post because he included his email address and he didn't want his personal email out and about.

So, no mystery there...OR IS THERE?!??!?!

Aleks said...

All right BIG J !!!! I didn't shoot off an email to him, as I respect his address was directed to you.

Other folks on other boards,I can't remember which one's. Tried contacting Schick Japan, with no avail. So it's sweet that they actually contacted you.

Aleks said...

Any updates on the Schick Japan saga?

JimR said...

Hey Aleks, we've exchanged some emails but nothing "deep". If I get any hot inside scoops on the Schick universe, rest assured you'll be the first to know!

Although, there has been discussion of the Wilkinson sticks...Be still my heart!