Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Olde and Newe...

I got a package from Merrye Olde Englande (From Paul Mayhew at Connaught Shaving--Thanks Paul!) last night (well, two actually...) and one of them contained a bit of modern engineering and a bit of old fashioned quality.




That is a Merkur Futur Razor (TSD Review Here), from the Merkur Razor company in Solingen Germany. It is resting atop a boxed tube of Musgo Real shaving cream (TSD Review Here), from Portugal. Cutting edge (pun fully intended) design and old world charm. I wish I could take better pictures.

The Futur is a beautiful, beautiful razor. The old Gillettes are miracles of engineering and functionality, lasting well past any reasonable expectation, but this is like some kind of Bauhaus art piece--smooth lines and pure functionality distilled into one wicked shaving machine. It's adjustable, meaning you can change how much space there is between the guard and the blade, allowing for ever closer, and more dangerous, shaves. It is also HEAVY--meaning you have to work less to get the blade to cut. Just awesome.
I can't wait to use it this morning!

The Musgo Real is a much more traditional product. It is a good old fashioned shave cream from Portugal, rich in Lanolin--meaning it should leave my face all nice and soft, even in the dry, heater filled winter. Which is why I bought it. The lovely, simple design on the box doesn't hurt. I'm going to save using this one until I get a decent cream brush. My Omega is wicked with soaps, but creams are another story...

Man, this stuff is just too much fun!

I'll report back with results of using these two lovelies...

No comments: