Monday, April 6, 2009

Florena...Nothing Rhymes with Florena....

I recently won third prize in a drawing on SMF, and I got a very nice tube of a discontinued cream. I LOVE winning good stuff, don't you?




Florena cream is a product of a German company called...Ummm...Florena (link is in German, of course). The cream was a big hit in Canada, so of course it was discontinued there (I think, actually, that Nivea bought the label...maybe. Not sure. Fact checking is for wussies.), and in the way of all flesh, has disappeared from Canadian shelves. It appears to still be available in Germany, though the tube has changed and probably the formula. I'd love to compare the two, however. Any German readers out there? Care to send the reviewer a tube to test? Anyone?

Didn't think so.

So, I got this cream and I have shaved the last several days with it, and I am quite pleased. My first shave actually wasn't that great...the scent struck me as rather cold-creamy and medicinal, and the cream irritated my face a bit. However, I had laid it on pretty thick,and I know that can sometimes cause problems--so for my next couple of shaves, I cut back on the cream amount and got MUCH better results. The scent cleared a little to a WARS-like scent, and there was no irritation at all.

With the lower cream levels, the lather was much lighter and slicker, and I got some fantastic shaves. This is a fluffier texture--not as thick as the better creams like T&H or The Body Shop, but it still gave some beautiful lather. What it lost in cushiony protection, it gave back in slickness and comfort. And afterward! No pain, no discomfort at all, and a darned near BBS shave with each one. A thorough pleasure to use...which of course, is kind of sad, because I'll probably not ever get another tube. Hint Hint.

This one goes on the Workhorse list for sure.

5 comments:

Aleks said...

Aleks to the rescue...

If your in Tokyo in the next couple weeks, I got a fresh tube of the Canadian Florena with your name on it.

I picked up 5 tubes a couple months ago in Vancouver for the special price of $1.99 CDN. Pretty strong floral scent, but a little go's a long way with this stuff. My grandpa used this cream religiously.

Shoot me an email if your around.

Aleks

JimR said...

Good to see you still around, Aleks!
Ok man, that's awesome. Unfortunately, the chances of me being in Tokyo in the next, say, 6 months is slim to none...

Well, you've got an email on the way anyway.

Anonymous said...

I am desperate to find my Florena Cream ( the blue and white tin).It is the nicest face cream I have ever used. I love it. Any suggestions where to get it in Canada?
MA

Anonymous said...

I desperately need to find my favourite face cream. FLORENA, a German product in the blue and white tin. Ant hwere in Canada
M.A.

Anonymous said...

I bought a blue and white plastic container with this wonderful cream in Germany. They obviously still make it. It is the best face cream I have ever used. Labelled soft creme mit Kamille + Vitamin E. Try www.florena.de
Susan