Saturday, April 11, 2009

I MADE this!!!!

I actually, for the first time in my life, with my own two hands, made something that is almost EXACTLY what I wanted it to be...outside the kitchen, that is. I've got the kitchen well in hand.




That, good friends, is a Paddle Strop. I made it because I wanted a pasted strop, and hanging strops aren't perhaps the best for that purpose; and I made it to see if I could. I'm not the handiest guy with tools--but as the years go by, I feel that's something I should really try to change. This was a simple project, but it turned out ok--a first for me. And that is actually something I'm really proud of. I know it's not much, but..I did it, and it turned out well, and for me, that's a big step.

So...what I did was this. I got a board from Daiso, the type of wood wasn't marked, but I think it was cypress, based on some wood at the homecenter I was looking at. SOmething very light and soft, anyway, but not balsa--not THAT soft. I got some hand tools--a Jigsaw, sanding block etc.--and cut a handle into one end. Predictably, the curves aren't as even or smooth as I would like, but they'll do. I smoothed and rounded the handle with my pocket knife and sandpaper, and then lapped the surface of the wood to make a good hone-like backing.

Then, I went to a shoe repair shop because I couldn't figure any place out to get leather. After a long, rather amusing negotiation, the owner (an awesome old dude with a coin purse made FROM A REAL FROG!!!!) sold me a big old piece of leather, something like latigo maybe? for the change I had in my pocket.

I got that home, pressed it for a couple of days, then cut it to size. I used some G-Clear leather bond and glued it to the wood, pressing it under books for a night to make sure it was flat. The leather's back was a velvety, smooth texture and I decided to make that the pasting surface.


I used some of the smoother side for a regular strop.



I sanded the smoother side to remove some of the finish and to help reduce some of the residual cupping of the leather--that's the lighter coloration you see there.

Then, I applied some neatsfoot oil to keep the leather healthy, and improve the draw, and when it was dry, I applied some Chromium Oxide paste to make a fine finishing strop.

(You can seem y disorganized workspace...sorry about that...)
Et voila! I made a strop! Overall length 46cm, 6cm wide, leather portion is 33cm long. The Eastern Smooth strop, less than $10!

4 comments:

Batmang said...

Way to go Jim...you're a better man than I am Gunga Din...I admire your willingness to give it a shot.

Nathan

JimR said...

Thanks Nathan! Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say. But really...it was so cheap, I figured I had nothing to lose. $1 for the wood, $6 for the leather, $1 for the saw even...the Chromium was $5, but I have enough for 4 strops or more, so that's not really a consideration.

Weird how this straight shaving thing is bringing out the DIYer in me...

Unknown said...

just saying hello.
been away for a while (went home, then came back and moved out to the countryside) but I'm all caught up on your blog now.

oh, and excellent job on on the straight razor restoration.

JimR said...

Hey Kodou, good to see you around! I hope things are well. Coutnryside living, eh? That'll be good for you--city life is NO GOOD!

Thanks for your kind words. I'm not going to be too serious about restoration, but it can be quite fun to see how things come out with a little work.

Hope to hear more from you soon!