Wednesday, June 24, 2009

One Month of Only...

Well, I am in a bit of a quandary, and I need your help. Time for my first Reader Poll!

The Japanese rainy season, or Tsuyu in Japanese, has begun. This means two things: it is Hot and it is Wet. It doesn't actually rain that much more than usual, but the humidity is a freaking nightmare...I personally think they should call it the sweaty season rather than the rainy season, but that's probably just me.

"Well, what does this have to do with shaving", you ask? Basically, it means that I can't keep a collection of 16 straight razors in good working order--The humidity will set in and rust the edges of the razors that are not frequently used and stropped. Therefore, I've decided to oil up and put away all but TWO of my straights for the duration of the rainy season.

I'm actually looking at this as an opportunity --by focusing on one or two blades, I will be sort of reigning in as many variables as possible and really work on the shave--hitting those tough spots and bearing down to get that truly fantastic 10/10 shave.

So here's the deal. I can't figure out which razors I want to keep going. I have so many nice ones, and I love them all, so it's going to be tough to narrow it down. I've decided one--the Stainless Friodur is staying out because, well, it's stainless--much less worry about rust there. But which of my other ones? That's where you come in.

I'd like you to tell me which razor I should use for the rest of this Tsuyu (roughly a month). Just use the comments to tell me which one...and at the end of the month, I'll give a full, in depth report of the razor and my performance, including some historical research if I can get it done.

And you know what? This literally just came to me...I'm going to go all out. One razor (ok, two razors...), one soap and one cream for all of Tsuyu. Yeah, let's make it really interesting. Summer fidelity! So go ahead, use the comments to tell me which one to use and why:

Razors:
"Gold Rex"
Towa Wedge
Genco Fluid Steel
Wapi

Creams:
La Toja Classica
TBS Maca Root Cream
T&H Almond
Florena Cream

Soaps:
Penhaligon's English Fern
BlackStangAl's Homegrown
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Wilkinson Stick

OK folks, help me out here! Tell me which one, and why!

Voting closes when I feel like it's reached an end. ;)
Thanks!

8 comments:

Luxlover said...

Razor-Genco (Because it's excellent and American.
Soap - MWF, need I say any more other than your skin will feel great.
Cream - Florena, because you said it was excellent. I have never tried it.

Steve from New Jersey (Luxlover)

HBK said...

I can't help you with the razor because I don't use straights but I'd stick with the La Toja and the Wilkinson stick. I picked up both items myself on recco from your blog and I love them both.

Unknown said...

Razor
No clue, still new to straights. Narrow it down to 2, then flip a coin. Whatever side comes up is my vote.

Cream
Florena. It seems nice, and I'd actually be more interested your opinion of it after a straight month.

Soap
English Fern, because I'm not a meanie. You just got it and I'm sure you'd like to start enjoying it.

olafurson said...

My vote counts double. ;)

Razor: Wapi because it's the bestest (and has stainless scales!)

Soap: English Fern, duh!

Cream: who needs 'em?

Enjoy, friend.

ChemE said...

Razor - Genco (It's American and I'm american)
Soap - MWF, why are you even asking????
Cream - If you want fidelity, really have fidelity to MWF and skip the cream.

ChemE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peter Shaun said...

To Jim Rion,

Good day. How are you? I apologize for I do not know how to contact you because your email address is not posted here on your blog, and so here I am messaging here on your comment space.

Anyways I saw your Eastern Smooth blog site and I am wondering if we could have an exchange link? Some interesting links are listed on your site and I am hoping that you could add me in your list as well. I believe that the readers of my Perfect Shave Dispatch blog would also enjoy your very informative site.

My site covers the techniques for the art of traditional shaving.

Here's a sample description:

http://perfectshave.blogspot.com - Perfect Shave Dispatch

Contributors and writers for this blog are expert in the classic shaving. They want to impart their knowledge to people who want to experience how it is to shave in the most excellent and beautiful way of removing facial hair with a razor.
Wet Shaving is not about being snobbish, but about a better shave with less irritation and fewer ingrown hairs.
With an old style razor, men have the luxury of choosing the sharpness of the blade.

I will be visiting your blog from time to time to check how it is going on in here and will be waitign for your favorable reply.


Thanks,
Peter Shaun
Perfect Shave Dispatch
http://perfectshave.blogspot.com

JimR said...

Hey Shaun, Sounds good! You're with Fendrihan--I've seen your site before, but I haven't ordered from you. Thanks for stopping by!

Hey guys, thanks for all the votes! I'm thinking I'll decide tomorrow...I do appreciate your help!

Jim