Thursday, June 11, 2009

Strop Talk

I know, I know--two posts in one day...What's the world coming to? But I got somethin' ta SAY!

I've only briefly mentioned my strop before...It's a Japanese made Kanayama Cordovan strop. There are several things that strike me as a wee bit peculiar about this strop..the first being that there is a company in Japan that makes handmade Cordovan leather razor strops...Seriously, most barbers don't use straights, so who are they for?

But it really is a quality piece...smooth and strong, with a well-sown handle. The leather is clearly high-quality, and the hanging tackle is no junk, either. The linen side is a very coarse, stiff material--stiffer than the leather, in fact. The whole thing says "quality". And the funny thing is, this is the bottom grade of strop they make--model # 1200. They make a full range--1200, 6300, 10000, 20000 and 30000...

They sell the 6300 on Rasorpur for 99 Euros, and that is just step above the one I have here....it's "for professional use", though. The thing that excites me, and the thing that inspired this post, is what is coming in the mail soon.

1 model number 30000 Kanayama Razor Strop will soon be hanging in the shave den. Top of the freaking line, baby...

Ooooohhhh...I can't wait!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where do you buy these?

Thanks,

Cornelius

JimR said...

Hi Cornelius. As far as I know, the only sources outside of Japan are Rasage Poulin (www.rasagepoulin.com) in Canada (they stock the 30000 I discuss in this thread) and Rasurpur in Germany (www.rasurpur.de) which has the 10000.

I got mine directly from the maker, and there are a few online shops in Japan that stock them.

Happy shopping!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reply. Any shops that ship to the west? Any English language sites?

Best,

Cornelius

JimR said...

Sorry Cornelius, as far as I can tell there aren't any that ship outside of Japan, nor any that are in English.

Are you looking for any specific information? If you need some help, you can email me at jimsama (at) gmail (dot com).