Friday, October 30, 2009

At The Barbershop

Kawaguchi-sensei is fast becoming a part of my life...

I went in for a hair cut last weekend, early on Saturday. I took two razors for his examination--one that I was confident in, one that I was sure he would fail.

When I got the shop, he didn't say anything, just waved me in and pointed at the counter. "Show me!" he said, when I set my dopp down.

I opened up and pulled out the Genco (confident) and Torrey (not quite there yet) that I had been honing for the past few days with nothing but heavy slurry on the Nakayamas. I would hone until the slurry broke down into a thick, black paste. The Genco did not need as much as the Torrey--after two rounds (about 20 minutes each) the Genco had a nice, even haze along the entire cutting length of the razor.

The Torrey had needed much more--it was not only an uneven, crooked bevel, but it had a nice big chip in it; at least 1mm deep, and 3mm long. I have no idea how it happened, but it did. And I honed it out on the Nakayama with slurry. Nothing else. Just slurry, and lots and lots of time.

I gave it. The chip disappeared. The bevel evened out, bit by bit...but not enough, and I knew that.

But I took them to Kawaguchi-sensei, and he told me what I thought I had figured out. The Genco was good, the Torrey was not (that brings my total of approved razors up to 2. The Torrey got a .7...so 2.7, apparently.) . I was happy--I know what he's looking for, I'm developing an eye for it. And of course the shaves told...the Genco has an exceptional edge, smooth and keen, while the Torrey is just not there yet. There is an unfinished quality. I need to make sure that the entire edge is even and knows the hone.

And, in the words of Kawaguchi-sensei, I have to hone happy. "Hone happy, and the edge will cut happy."

He really is right, too. I've been honing happy, and it shows...

I wish I could go to the barber every day.

2 comments:

Justin said...

Nice blog!

JimR said...

Thanks Justin! I hope you stick around!