Monday, October 26, 2009

Reviews you can USe: Kanebo "Valcan" Skin Milk

I love this stuff.


Perhaps I shouldn't have given away the ending like that, but seriously. It's fantastic.

I was in the drugstore with Ms. Moneybags and she said, "Why don't you get something?" An excellent question, I thought, so I opened this one up, took a whiff, and fell in love. My wife did, too.

This is, like the other Japanese aftershaves I've reviewed, pure classic. It REEKS of dignified men in fine, but perhaps a bit out of fashion, suits...men who wear hats, and judge a man's character by his handshake.

Kanebo says this scent is a "spicy fougere", and the fine fellows at Basenotes say:

  • Top Notes
  • * Green Notes, Lemon, Lime, Bergamot, Aldehyde .
  • Middle Notes
  • * Jasmin, Cedarwood, Sandal, Carnation, Rose, Basil .
  • Base Notes
  • * Musk, Moss, Tonka, Amber.
What I say is, it's fantastic. It's a warm, dark scent, slightly sweet, and the Amber and Tonka (vanilla-like notes) really come through. Very understated, very masculine. Perfect for Autumn or winter.

Now, as for how it feels, well, this is another one of those "milks" that is much more of a "cream". It's thick, a wee bit on the heavy side for me, but on the good side that means a little goes a long way. I find it incredibly soothing and smoothing after a shave, and the moisturizing is top notch...again, perfect for the drier, colder months.

On application, it CAN be a bit tacky for a good 30 seconds, but it fades quickly into a nice, gentle soothing feeling. And that warm scent fills your head with comfort...This is, in fact, a scent I am definitely going to buy in the EdT.

The ingredients are pretty straightforward:
Water, stearic acid, Mineral Oil, Miristic acid octyldodecil, Cetanol, Polysorbate 60, lauric acid sorbitane, Alantoin, triethanolamine,Isopropyl methylphenol, Paraben, Parfum, yellow #5, yellow #203, blue #1.

Whatever that means.

I'm keeping it.

3 comments:

lanolite said...

The bottle certainly looks nice. If I had any way of trying some, I would after this review.

I recently got some Three Crowns Peppermint aftershave milk from Connaught Shaving and am enjoying it, although I doubt that the scent is in the classic gentleman category! It's great for the mornings when you need to wake up.

JimR said...

It is lovely. I would be happy to send some your way...

The Three Crowns is a little heavier than this one, but I do love it. And that peppermint Paul uses is a kicker...I have some of his shave cream and I love that cool...

Jan said...

Just tried it as I am in Japan on holiday, and you are right: it is fantastic! Not greasy, not sticky, just first class skin treatment for men!