Friday, October 16, 2009

Duende!

So my shaves have taken a decidedly Latin turn with a lovely little package from Portugal...

I did some wheeling and dealing with some fine gentlemen of the Iberian Peninsula, and ended up with some totally sweet swag...An NOS Filarmonica Para Barbas Duras, a Semogue 1305 Boar Brush, some 444 aftershave and an alum block, and even some real Portuguese wine!!!


The razor had never been opened--it was still sealed in a plastic bag inside its lovely gold box--for decades! Of course, I got it to use, so open it up I did...


The scales are "just" plastic, but the black is stylish, and the blade is just beautiful...etched back and that sweet black rubber grip...and sooooo big.

The cool thing is, even after so many years of sitting in a box in some guy's basement or something, the edge was still shave ready! I stropped it up and shaved last night, no hones needed...and the shave!!!








I took the Fillie for a tryout with a whole range of Portuguese/Spanish products...La Toja cream, Semogue Brush, 444 aftershave...

And how did it go? Freaking awesome.

The blade is a killer. One shave down, and it's already my favorite razor. Big, beefy, sharp and smooth...and the style is pure class. This one is mine for good...

The brush was darned good, too. For the first use, it was extremely effective--the first lather from my Omegas was not nearly as good. And somehow, the bristles on the Semogue seem smoother for a first try. It was a really nice brush, and the handle shape is excellent. We might have a new contender for best boar brush...Sorry, Betty!

The La Toja (sensitive version) was perfect, as usual. I really love this cream...just great performance, lovely scent and a great after-shaving feeling.

The 444 aftershave gel..well, unfortunately, it's a bit too heavily mentholated. I tried a test run at the back of my jaw, and it started burning almost immediately...I had to wash it right off. It's a damned shame, but oh well...C'est la Vie!

I had a great shave, though, thanks to some awesome products from the land of bull fights and Flamenco...Gracias! Obrigado! And Arigatou!

4 comments:

tokeiten said...

Thank you for discovering La Toja cream (sensitive version) to me.
I can't believe I have to read about it in your blog to try it, mainly because I live in Spain and I have seen it for ages and I have never felt attracted by it, now it has become my preferred shaving cream !.

Batmang said...

It may be the menthol (as you said) that bothered you with the 444 but I found that it takes very, very little to go a long way. I initially used too much and I didn't like the tackiness that remained afterwards. I didn't have that problem with very small amounts, but still felt I got good coverage.
I also think very highly of the La Toja cream...and my 1305 has become my go to brush. Semogue makes a nice product.

JimR said...

Hey guys, it's my pleasure! The cream is fantastic, as is the brush. The 444 lotion just seemed to burn on contact...I might give it another try, but I'm not sure the prospects look good.

Thanks for reading!

Best,
Jim

Anonymous said...

I am afraid that I cannot call you Big Jim, but little Jim, because you are still my little brother