Monday, December 8, 2008

Ouch...

Tried out a new shave set today...Williams Mug soap and Gillette 7 O'Clock Blacks. Things...didn't go well...


It was my first time with both the soap and the blade. I'd heard good things about the Black:

That it is sharper and smoother than the Yellow's I've been using, which I love. Well, after today's shave I certainly think the first is true...Luckily they had a few pints in my type at the blood bank...

As for Williams.

Hmmm. I don't know what to think. That's the problem with introducing two new elements at the same time--you don't know which one blindsided you. Either that Gillette Black is a monster, featherlike in its deadliness, or Williams gave me all the benefit of shaving with warm spit. Either way, today's shave sucked the big one.

Ok, so, the blade nicked and cut and burned me. The soap lathered (apparently) fine. Not quite as slick as I like, and the scent was a bit off for me; reminiscent of ARKO, though not quite as penetrating. I don't know what I should do...I want to give this pair a good try, but I DON'T want a repeat of today's performance. Maybe I should switch out the Williams for it's brother-in-bargainhood (Williams is about $1 a puck), VDH, and let the Black have another go at my face. Let's just hope it's bloodthirst was slaked with this morning's sacrifice.

Yeah, let's do that.

2 comments:

mantic59 said...

Williams is notoriously drying, both the lather itself and to the skin. Some have gotten decent shaves out of it by continuously re-wetting the lather as you're shaving, but most just move on to something better, like the aformentioned "value" buddy VDH.

JimR said...

Thanks for commenting, Mantic.
Yeah, I think you're probably right, the Williams just doesn't really cut it for me. No big loss, I reckon.