Thursday, December 25, 2008

Review: Kim Son Brush In Use

This will be an ongoing commentary on how this brush performs in use. I will update a few times before making a final judgment in a couple of weeks.

So, let's see how she goes...


The First Lather...



So, I started out using this brush with a test lather. I used TBS MACA Root Cream in a bowl, just to see how it worked--I'm a face latherer by nature, so bowls aren't my bag, usually.

I snurdled in the bowl, wet the brush in the running sink (no soak this time) and shook it about three times. I started to lather--and it just exploded. I didn't need to add any extra water to make a good, slick cream. However, as you can see from looking at this lather in the picture, it maybe could have used a touch more work with the brush, but like I said...I'm not a bowl latherer.






Here is the knot after use, still wet, with more bloom:



No shed hairs on this lather.

*****

The First Shave...(Christmas!)

For my first shave with the brush, I decided on Cella Crema Da Sapone. I don't have any good soap pucks right now, so this was the closest I had to a soap--they load similarly, but when my VB Luxury Shave Soap gets here, I can give a better indication of soap performance.

I soaked the brush while I showered (I know this isn't necessary for Badger brushes, but some people do it, and this is a test so I went for it.) After my shower, I shook the brush out a good four times, getting all the excess water out, and loaded the brush. I had no problems getting a good load of soap on the bristles. They have a good backbone for this--I don't anticipate any big problems with soaps. After loading, there was one hair left in the Cella.

For the shave, I face lathered as it is my main MO. And...this was a very pleasant brush. The bristles were smooth and soft, with no hint of scritch or scrubbiness at all. It was stiff enough to lather the crema with no extra work, and made a good lather quickly. I personally found it much easier to use than the Shavemac Silvertip I tried, which was much silkier, but (or therefore?) much more difficult to gauge as far as water content and loading goes.

I had to dip the bristles once, as I might have overshaken the brush in the beginning, but it was overall a very easy, intuitive brush to use, and exremely comfortable.

I got enough lather to last for 3.5 shaves, though I had to squeeze the knot a bit for the last touch up pass.

Another hair was shed when I was drying the brush on a towel after the shave, for a total of 2 hairs shed.

Nope, nothing wrong here!

(Sorry I didn't get any pictures of the shave, but I don't like the idea of using the Camera in the bathroom...)

***
Second Shave...(Dec. 26)

Switched to Castle Forbes Lime Oil Cream today, love the smell. Again, face lathering after the shower. I didn't soak the brush today, just let it get nice and wet, and the performance was the same as yesterday. It holds a lot of water, but is fairly easy to adjust.

Today, I kind of felt that the density was a bit low for my tastes. Holding the knot with thre fingers, like they teach you in the barber books, my finges really sank in. It's not a big problem, as the hairs hold up pretty well in the lathering, but it is there...

The knot doesn't splay out too much, and it hilds a nice big god of lather for your shave.

3 Hairs shed today--I still don't think it's anything to worry about, but if it continues too long it might be a problem.

Last update this week...Be back next year with a thorough report!

***

Dec. 27--I know I said I'd be back in a week, but I got a puck of Vintage Blades Soap yesterday, so I had to give it a try.

Great lather, easy loading--no problems with soap! Again, this brush seems a little too soft, maybe not dense enough, for me. I like a stiff brush, with lots of backbone. But it's got more backbone than the Shavemac, though it isn't as dense.

1 shed hair today.

***

Dec 28--2 hairs shed. A little weak with MWF...hmmm....

No comments: